Recently updated on October 25th, 2022 at 11:01 am
When most people buy a brand-new vehicle from a dealership, they expect it to last for years. Even if they have to put some money into maintenance along the way, they believe that it will be well worth it in the future.
Your HVAC system is no different – you should expect to get a good number of years out of it with proper maintenance.
In this blog post, we’ll answer the question, “how long does an HVAC system last on average?” and teach you what you can do to make sure yours lasts as long as possible.
Before diving into the primary topic, feel free to click here if you’d like to learn more about HVAC dampers and how they work.
How long does an HVAC system last before it needs to be replaced?
Table of Contents
- How long does an HVAC system last before it needs to be replaced?
- What are some of the common signs that your system needs to be replaced?
- How much does it cost to replace an HVAC system?
- What are some tips for prolonging the lifespan of your HVAC system?
- How often should you have your HVAC system serviced?
You may be asking yourself common questions like, “how long does an HVAC system last with central air heat?” — HVAC systems are typically designed to last for around 15-20 years.
However, the lifespan of your system will vary depending on the make and model of the system as well as how well it is maintained.
For example, a system that is regularly serviced and kept clean is likely to last longer than one that is not. Additionally, HVAC systems that are used more frequently will have a shorter lifespan than those that are used less often.
Ultimately, the best way to identify how long your HVAC system will last is to consult with a qualified and experienced technician. A technician will be able to evaluate the condition of your system and give you an accurate estimate of its remaining lifespan.
Now you’ve learned the answer to the question, “how long does an HVAC system last on average?”.
What are some of the common signs that your system needs to be replaced?
When your HVAC system is on the fritz, it can be tough to tell whether you need a new one. It’s important to be familiar with the common signs that your system is ready for replacement.
There are a few surefire indications that it’s time to replace your HVAC system.
One is if your energy bills have been gradually increasing, even though you haven’t changed your habits. This could be because your system is constantly working overtime to try to keep your home comfortable, and it’s time for an upgrade.
Another noticeable sign is if you’ve needed frequent repairs done on your system. While it’s normal for systems to need a repair every now and then, if you find yourself calling for service more and more often, it might be time for a replacement.
And finally, if your system is 15 years old (or older), it is more than likely past its prime and due for an upgrade.
If you’re experiencing any of these issues, it might be time to replace your HVAC system.
How much does it cost to replace an HVAC system?
At some point, you may need to replace your HVAC system.
The cost of replacement will depend on the size of your home, the type of HVAC system, and the difficulty of installation. Expect to pay anywhere from $3,000 to $10,000 for a new HVAC system.
If you have a large home or a complex HVAC system, the cost could be even greater in the long run.
When making your decision, be sure to get multiple quotes from certified HVAC technicians. With careful planning and budgeting, you can replace your HVAC system without breaking the bank.
What are some tips for prolonging the lifespan of your HVAC system?
When it comes to your home, the last thing you want is for something to break down and cost you a significant amount of money. One of the most important systems in your home is your HVAC system.
While they can last for many years if taken care of properly, there are a variety of things you can do to drastically prolong the lifespan of your HVAC system. Continue reading to learn some tried-and-true tips for prolonging the lifespan of your HVAC system:
- Get regular tune-ups for your HVAC system. This will drastically prolong the overall lifespan of your HVAC system and help it run more efficiently.
- Change the filters on a regular basis. This will help to keep the air quality in your home high and improve the efficiency of your HVAC system.
- Make sure that your HVAC system is the correct size for your home. If it is too small, it will have to work harder to cool down or heat up your home, which will shorten its lifespan. If it is too large, it will cycle on and off too frequently, also reducing its lifespan.
- Keep your HVAC system clean. Doing this is essential, as it will help your system run smoothly and prolong its life.
- Be mindful of how you use your HVAC system. Avoid setting the thermostat lower than necessary in the winter and higher than necessary in the summer. This will put unnecessary strain on your system and shorten its lifespan.
How often should you have your HVAC system serviced?
Depending on the type and quality of HVAC system that you have, you should have it serviced once or twice a year. Taking the time to do this will help to prolong the general lifespan of your HVAC system and prevent costly repairs in the not-so-distant future.
In addition, regular service will ensure that your system is operating at peak efficiency, saving you money on your energy bills.
Now you know how long an HVAC system is supposed to last. If you have any more questions, reach out to a reputable HVAC company today.