Did you know that our sense of smell is our most potent memory inducer?
Certain smells transport us to another place and time as fast as a whiff. It’s scientifically proven!
If you’re looking to create a memorable experience, add scent. When it comes to room scents you have two choices.
You can go for the store-bought stuff, or you can create a homemade room spray. Here are five easy steps to create your homemade room spray.
Understanding the Power of Scent
Table of Contents
- Understanding the Power of Scent
- Scent Marketing
- Make Your Home Memorable
Ever met someone and become intrigued just because of their scent? Maybe it made you curious about them or led to making an introduction.
Unquestionably, that person knew the power of their own Boss bottled scent. Let that be a lesson to you.
For years companies have been using scent as a way to make them more memorable to their customers. Here are a few companies that use scent marketing to improve their brand. The list may surprise you:
1. Abercrombie & Fitch
Abercrombie & Fitch uses their own personal scent to attract customers to their store as well as producing an emotional anchor to the shopping experience. Can you smell it?
If you’ve ever walked by Starbucks and had to have a cup, you may now know why. It is the power of scent branding. The international brand has used scent to lure customers with it’s a freshly brewed coffee scent for years.
Even jewelry stores are understanding the importance of creating a pleasing environment. By infusing scent into their stores it creates a calm, relaxing shopping experience.
Make Your Home Memorable
We often think about the ambiance of our homes to create a pleasing environment. We’ll go through the arrangement of furniture, the space in the room, the lighting, and so forth.
Now you know that scent can also be a powerful trigger to create a comfortable environment. If you’ve ever walked into a room that smells good, your first inclination will probably be to acknowledge it.
Let’s go through the five easy-to-follow steps to make your homemade room spray an emotional trigger that delights your friends, family, and neighbors years to come.
1. Gather the Materials
Before you create your homemade room spray you need some materials that are cheap, easy to find, and natural. Below is a list of few things you’ll need to create your homemade room spray:
- Essential oils – choose a variety so you can play with different scents
- Distilled water – you can find this at any grocery store
- Unscented witch hazel – if you can’t find them in a store, check online
- Dried flowers – they help enhance the scent
You will also need spray bottles. You may be able to find these at a dollar store.
2. Add Essential Oils to Your Bottle
The first step is to drop a total of 25 – 30 drops of essential oils into your spray bottle. This can be all one scent or a mixture of two or more scents. Here are a few options that you can use together to make a nice scent.
Here are some ideas for scents:
- Citrus Mint – 20 drops of wild orange essential oils and 10 drops of peppermint essential oils
- Sweet Lavender – 25 drops of lavender essential oils and 5 drops of chamomile essential oils
- Summer Citrus – 12 drops wild orange essential oils, 8 drops lemon essential oil, 8 drops of lime essential oils, 8 drops grapefruit essential oils
- Cozy Holiday – 10 drops of wild orange essential oils, 8 drops of cassia or cinnamon essential oils, and 8 drops of clove essential oils
- Flower Garden – 12 drops lavender essential oil, 10 drops geranium essential oils, and 8 drops grapefruit essential oils
- Happy Homestead – 10 drops lavender essential oils, 10 drops lemon essential oils, and 10 drops of rosemary essential oils
- Deodorizing Air Freshener – 8 drops tea tree essential oils, 12 drops lemon essential oils, and 10 drops eucalyptus essential oils
- Spicy Chai Air – 8 drops of cardamom essential oils, 6 drops cassia essential oils, 6 drops of clove essential oils, and 4 drops of ginger essential oils
With these ideas, you should be good to have a nice mix of different scents that work for your household. Once you have added one of these mixtures of essential oils we can move on to the next step.
3. Add Witch Hazel to the Spray Bottle
After you have added the drops of essential oils to your bottle, you’ll want to add witch hazel to the bottle. You should add witch hazel to fill up half of the bottle.
Witch hazel helps the essential oils and water to mix together. It also helps the scent linger for a longer time.
Once you have the essential oils and witch hazel added to the bottle, you should have another half of the bottle left to fill. That sets you up for our next step.
4. Add Distilled Water to the Spray Bottle
Once you have added your essential oils and your witch hazel to the bottle, you’re ready to add the distilled water.
Now, you should have half of your spray bottle empty. You’ll want to add the distilled water for the rest of the way, leaving a little space at the top. You should try to have a 1:1 ratio for witch hazel to distilled water.
The reason why distilled water is used because you don’t want deposited minerals being sprayed into the air.
5. Add Dried Flowers to the Spray Bottle
Imagine this last step as a garnish on top of a beautiful dish. The dried flowers will help elevate certain scents, but they also provide a beautiful design to the spray bottle.
When adding dried flowers to the spray bottle, you’ll only need a small amount. Don’t feel compelled to force it in, just add a small sprig. That will give your bottle an aesthetically pleasing look and increase the scent.
6. Shake It Up and Spray
Now that you’ve added all the ingredients, just shake it up and spray to experience a beautiful new scent in your home. Because these are all-natural, you don’t have to worry about harmful chemicals being released into the air.
That means you can spray to your heart’s content.
Create a Memorable Home
Adding a homemade room spray to your cozy home space is just another way to make your home memorable and pleasant for guests. So grab some materials, and create a memorable scent that your guests will love.
For more information on home, health, business, and more please read our blog for the latest news, tips, and tricks.