Recently updated on October 25th, 2022 at 11:00 am
There’s no question that customer support is vital for small businesses. According to a study by PwC, 68% of customers would leave a brand they love after just one bad experience. Providing excellent customer support is not only crucial for keeping your current customers happy but also essential for attracting new ones.
Of course, delivering excellent customer support isn’t always easy. Small businesses often have limited resources, making it challenging to provide the same level of support as larger companies.
Fortunately, you can do a few things to ensure your small business is providing the best possible customer support. In this blog post, we’ll share tips on choosing help desk software for small businesses.
What Is Help Desk Software?
Table of Contents
- What Is Help Desk Software?
- What Are The Features Of Help Desk Software?
- What Are The Benefits Of Help Desk Software?
- What Are The Different Types Of Help Desk Software?
- How Do I Choose The Right Help Desk Software For My Business?
Help desk software is a type of customer service software that helps businesses manage and keep track of their customer support. It enables businesses to provide better customer service by automating tasks and providing customers with self-service options.
There are many different types of help desk software available on the market, each with its features and benefits that your small business can benefit from. It can be challenging to decide which help desk software is right for your small business, but this article will make it simpler.
Luckily, there are no geographical restrictions when choosing help desk software. For example, if you start an LLC business in California, you’re not limited to California Help Desk companies. You can choose from an array of services, not just in the United States, but throughout the world.
What Are The Features Of Help Desk Software?
When considering help desk software for your small business, you should first identify the most important features to you and your business. Some of the most common features of help desk software include:
- Help desk ticketing system – a help desk ticketing system enables businesses to keep track of customer support requests and issues. It also allows companies to assign tickets to specific employees or departments.
- Knowledge base – a knowledge base is a collection of articles, FAQs, and other information that customers can use to solve their problems.
- Live chat – live chat allows businesses to communicate with customers in real-time. This can help quickly answer customer questions or resolve issues requiring immediate attention.
- Self-service options – self-service options, such as a customer portal or FAQs, enable customers to find answers to their questions without contacting customer support.
- Reporting and analytics – reporting and analytics tools help businesses track the performance of their customer support team. This information can be used to identify areas for improvement.
What Are The Benefits Of Help Desk Software?
There are many benefits of using help desk software for your small business. Some of the most notable benefits include:
- Improved Customer Service – Help desk software can help businesses provide better customer service by automating tasks and providing customers with self-service options.
- Increased Efficiency – Help desk software can help businesses increase their efficiency by automating tasks and enabling customers to find answers to their questions.
- Improved Productivity – Help desk software can help businesses improve their productivity by providing employees with the tools they need to do their job more effectively.
- Reduced Costs – Help desk software can help businesses reduce costs by eliminating the need for multiple customer service platforms.
What Are The Different Types Of Help Desk Software?
There are two main types of help desk software: on-premise and cloud-based. On-premise help desk software is installed on your company’s servers, while the vendor hosts cloud-based help desk software. Both types of help desk software have benefits and drawbacks. Most small business owners choose cloud-based help desk software.
1. On-Premise Help Desk Software
On-premise help desk software is installed on your company’s servers. And here are some things to keep in mind:
- Greater Control – On-premise help desk software gives you greater control over your data and customer support processes.
- Enhanced Security – On-premise help desk software may offer better security than cloud-based solutions.
- More Customizable – On-premise help desk software is more customizable than cloud-based solutions. This means that you can tailor the software to meet the specific needs of your business.
- Costs – On-premise help desk software is generally much more expensive than cloud-based solutions.
2. Cloud-Based Help Desk Software
The vendor hosts cloud-based help desk software. This type of help desk software offers several benefits, including:
- No Hardware or Software Requirements – Cloud-based help desk software does not require purchasing or installing hardware or software.
- Scalable and Flexible – Cloud-based help desk software is scalable and flexible, so it can grow with your business.
- Easy to Use – Cloud-based help desk software is often easier to use than on-premise solutions.
- Lower Total Cost of Ownership – Cloud-based help desk software generally has a lower total cost of ownership than on-premise solutions.
How Do I Choose The Right Help Desk Software For My Business?
Now that we’ve discussed why your small business should consider using help desk software, let’s look at how to choose the right solution for your business.
Here are a few things to keep in mind when choosing help desk software for small businesses:
1. Consider Your Needs
The first step in choosing a help desk software solution is considering your needs. What do you need the software to do? Do you need it to be able to track support requests? Do you need it to be able to send automatic responses to customers?
Think about what your business needs from a help desk software solution, and then list those requirements. Once you have your list of requirements, you’ll be able to narrow down your options and choose the best software for your business.
2. Evaluate Your Options
Once you know what you need from a help desk software solution, it’s time to evaluate your options. There are a lot of different help desk software solutions on the market, so take some time to research each one.
Look at each help desk software solution’s features, and compare those to your list of requirements. Make sure the software you choose offers all the features you need and that it’s affordable for your business.
It would help if you also took some time to read online reviews of the different help desk software solutions. This can give you a good idea of what other small businesses think of each option and help you decide.
3. Get a Free Trial
Once you’ve evaluated your options and chosen a help desk software solution, get a free trial. This will allow you to test the software and ensure it meets your needs.
Most help desk software solutions offer free trials, so take advantage of this and ensure the software is right for your business before committing to it.
Author Bio: Matt Horwitz is the founder of LLC University, a website that teaches people how to form LLCs. Matt is the leading authority in LLC education and is featured in CNBC, Yahoo Finance, Entrepreneur Magazine, and US Chamber of Commerce. Matt holds a Bachelor’s Degree in business from Drexel University with a concentration in business law. LLC University®, established in 2010, was the first company to create free LLC courses in all 50 states.