Recently updated on October 25th, 2022 at 11:28 am
Over the last twenty years, alkaline water has become increasingly popular. While many sing its praises, there is still much that is unknown about this water and what it can do for a person’s health. Learning as much as possible about alkaline water will help individuals decide if they should drink it regularly.
What Is Alkaline Water?
Although most people have at least heard of alkaline water, they may not be aware of what it is and the benefits it offers. The name of this water refers to its pH level. Alkaline water has a higher pH than regular drinking water. Many people believe if they Drink Defy alkaline water, the acidity in their bodies will be reduced.
Normally, drinking water is pH neutral. Alkaline water is more alkaline with a pH of around eight or nine. Although pH is important in producing alkaline water, it is not the only substantial difference from regular drinking water.
Alkaline water must also contain alkaline minerals and feature negative oxidation-reduction potential. Oxidation-reduction potential allows the water to become a powerful antioxidant. Alkaline water that has increased negative oxidation-reduction potential is going to offer a greater level of antioxidant power.
What Are the Benefits of Alkaline Water?
It is clear much research needs to continue on the subject of alkaline water to confirm the claims made by proponents. The following offers some of the reported benefits of drinking alkaline water.
- Drinking alkaline water may help reduce pepsin, which is one of the enzymes that cause acid reflux in some individuals. A study conducted in 2012 found that drinking water with a pH of 8.8 was most beneficial for acid reflux sufferers.
- Studies have shown those with high cholesterol may be able to reduce their numbers by regularly drinking alkaline water. With cholesterol a big concern, this is welcome news.
- One study found drinking alkaline water helped to reduce blood pressure. As further research is carried out, it is hoped the mechanisms of why this water helps lower blood pressure will be discovered.
- Research continues on the subject of diabetes. One study discovered drinking alkaline water helped to lower blood glucose levels. It will be interesting to see what further research discovers.
- Studies have also shown alkaline water after a workout helps improve blood viscosity for better blood flow. Better blood flow helps to protect the cardiovascular system.
It is hoped continued research will bring greater evidence of the many benefits of alkaline water. For now, proponents of the drink say they do not need any more proof because they have experienced the benefits themselves.
How to Drink Alkaline Water
To gain the most benefit from drinking alkaline water, it is recommended individuals drink eight to ten glasses a day. It is especially important to enjoy a glass first thing upon rising and after strenuous exercise. Alkaline water should never be mixed with any additives. To get the most benefit, it should be used daily.
Alkaline water has become increasingly popular among health enthusiasts. Proponents of this water claim it makes them feel better and helps with chronic conditions like diabetes. It will be interesting to see what further research reveals over the years regarding this special beverage.
For now, many people continue to drink it regularly, enjoying its crisp and refreshing taste, along with the health benefits it offers. Those who have never tried alkaline water should taste it for themselves.