Recently updated on January 17th, 2023 at 08:58 am
As per reports, by March 2022, Miami, Florida, will have around 74,622 registered boats. As the number of recreational boat increases, so do the chances of boating accidents.
If you are hurt in a boating accident, finding a boat accident lawyer who can help you file a claim and get the compensation you deserve is essential. Nevertheless, finding the right lawyer can be tricky. Many lawyers out there claim to specialize in boating accident cases, but not all of them are qualified or experienced. This blog will give you five tips for finding a lawyer for Miami boating accident.
Why Hire a Boating Accident Lawyer?
Table of Contents
Image source: nitrocdn.com
Here are a few reasons why you may need to hire a lawyer after a boating accident in Miami.
- If you’ve been seriously injured, you may be facing high medical bills, lost wages, and other damages. An attorney will help you get the compensation for the damages you deserve.
- If the accident was caused by another boat operator’s negligence or recklessness, they might be liable for your damages. A lawyer can help you hold them accountable.
- There is a dispute over who is at fault for the accident. A lawyer can help you gather evidence and build your case if this is the case.
- Insurance companies are in the business of making money, not paying out claims. If you’re dealing with an insurance company after a boating accident, you may need a lawyer to help you get the compensation you deserve.
- The legal process can be confusing and complicated. If you’re not familiar with it, a lawyer can help you navigate it and ensure that your rights are protected.
Tips for Finding a Lawyer in Miami
1. Experience in Handling Boating Accident Cases
The first and most key tip is to make sure that the lawyer you consider has experience handling boating accident cases. Many lawyers claim to be experts in this field, but not all have the necessary experience. You can ask the lawyer about their past cases or check online reviews to see what other people have to say about their services.
2. Licensed to Practice in Florida
It is essential because laws regarding boating accidents can vary from state to state. You want a lawyer who is familiar with the laws of Florida and can help you navigate the legal process.
3. A Member of the Florida Bar Association
The third suggestion is to examine whether the attorney is a member of the Florida Bar Association. Members of the bar are bound by a code of ethics and professional conduct, which means they will provide you with superior service.
4. Ask for Recommendations
If someone you know has been in a similar situation, they may be able to recommend a good lawyer. You can also check online forums and websites dedicated to boating accident victims.
5. Meet with the Lawyer in Person
The last tip is to meet with the lawyer in person before you decide. It will allow you to better understand their personality and how they communicate. You should also ask them about their fees and what you can expect from working with them.
The average cost of hiring a boating accident lawyer in Miami can vary depending on the lawyer’s experience and fees. However, most lawyers will charge a contingency fee, which means you will only have to pay if they win your case. It can range from 25% to 40% of the total settlement amount.
If you follow these tips, you should be able to find a qualified and experienced lawyer for a Miami boating accident. Remember, it is essential to do your research and ask around before making a final decision. With the right lawyer on your side, you stand a much better chance of getting your deserved compensation.