As the world of fashion continues to evolve, so too do the trends and preferences of its consumers. We’ve seen how millennials influenced the industry with their love of athleisure and bold fashion statements.
Now it seems that Gen Z is making waves in the jewelry market, particularly regarding lab-made diamond rings. Whether you’re a member of Gen Z or just curious about what this growing trend is all about, keep reading to learn more!
Is GenZ Choosing Lab grown Diamonds Over Natural Diamonds?
Table of Contents
- Is GenZ Choosing Lab grown Diamonds Over Natural Diamonds?
- Who is Gen Z?
- What Are Lab Created Diamonds?
- Where to Buy Lab Grown Diamonds
- Why Gen Z Prefers Lab-Made Diamonds?
- Some Ways to Tell if A Diamond is Lab-Created
- Pros and Cons of Lab Grown Diamonds
- How Are Lab Grown Diamonds Created?
- Are Lab-Grown Diamonds Cheaper Than Natural Diamonds?
- The Certification Process for Lab Created Diamond Rings
- How To Shop For A Lab-Grown Diamond Ring
- The Future of Lab Grown Diamonds
When it comes to engagement rings specifically, lab-grown diamonds can save you money without sacrificing quality or style.
Because they are created in a controlled environment, lab-grown diamonds typically have fewer inclusions and blemishes than their natural counterparts. This means you can get a beautiful diamond ring without spending as much money.
Lab grown diamonds are GIA certified, meaning they are exactly the real diamonds, only the method of production is different.
Lab grown diamonds give plenty of benefits without any compromise on the quality, so go for lab grown diamonds if you are looking for less expensive diamonds and well being of your planet.
Who is Gen Z?
Generation Z, also known as Gen Z, are people born between 1997 and 2012. The oldest Gen Z are now in their early 20s, and the youngest is still in elementary school.
This generation is very diverse, with different ethnicities, religions, and socioeconomic backgrounds. They’re also the most educated generation: a majority of Gen Zers are either currently enrolled in college or have already completed some degree of higher education.
Gen Zers are often described as being more pragmatic than their predecessors, the Millennials. They’re less idealistic and more realistic about the world around them. This pragmatism is likely a result of growing up during tough economic times; many Gen Zers witnessed their parents struggle during the Great Recession of 2008-2009.
As a result of their unique upbringing, Gen Zers have different preferences than other generations when it comes to things like diamonds.
For example, they’re more likely to prefer lab created diamonds over mined diamonds. Lab-grown diamonds are identical to mined diamonds in every way except for their origin; they’re created in a laboratory using cutting-edge technology.
Lab-made diamond rings are becoming increasingly popular amongst members of Gen Z because they offer a range of advantages that natural diamonds can’t compete with. Generation Z has different values and preferences when it comes to shopping for luxury items such as jewelry.
One such item that Gen Z is particularly interested in is lab-grown diamonds.
What Are Lab Created Diamonds?
Lab-grown diamonds are actual diamonds that have been created and formed deliberately in a laboratory under careful and precise conditions. Lab-grown diamonds are sometimes referred to as synthetic, man-made, or cultivated diamonds.
These diamonds offer the same physical, chemical, and optical qualities as natural diamonds, and they are just as durable. The only difference is that lab-grown diamonds are not formed in the Earth’s mantle over millions of years. Instead, they are grown in a controlled environment for about two weeks.
Where to Buy Lab Grown Diamonds
If you’re looking for lab-grown diamonds, you have a few different options. You can purchase them from a variety of sources, including online retailers, jewelry stores, and diamond wholesalers.
If you’re buying online, make sure to do your research and only purchase from a reputable retailer. Look for one that offers a wide selection of diamonds, as well as competitive pricing. CleanOrigin is a family-run diamond jewelry business that specializes in responsibly sourced lab grown diamonds. They create beautiful designs with ethically-crafted lab-grown diamonds, which help to conserve water, energy, land, and minerals, as well as reduce carbon emissions.
If you’d prefer to work with a local jeweler, search for one in your area that specializes in lab-grown diamonds. This way, you can see the diamonds in person and get help picking out the perfect one for you. To find a reputable jeweler near you, ask friends or family for recommendations, or do an online search.
We have seen that Gen-Z consumers are increasingly turning to lab grown diamonds as their preference of choice. Lab-grown diamonds provide them with a more affordable and ethical option, which is highly attractive for this environmentally conscious demographic.
With their increasing demand, we can expect to see more manufacturers shifting towards supplying lab-grown diamonds to meet the needs of this growing customer base. We’re excited to witness just how much influence Gen Z will have on the future of the diamond industry.
Why Gen Z Prefers Lab-Made Diamonds?
Lab-grown diamonds are gaining traction as a great substitute for natural diamonds. They are crafted in a lab and share all the same characteristics – both physically and chemically – as their authentic counterparts. There are several advantages to lab-grown diamonds over natural ones,
Unlike the cost of their natural counterparts, the cost of lab-grown diamonds is significantly lower. This is because the process of creating lab-grown diamonds is much more efficient and cost-effective than mining natural diamonds.
Additionally, lab-grown diamonds are available in a wider range of sizes and shapes, allowing for more customization and lower prices. Furthermore, lab-grown diamonds do not require the same certification process as natural diamonds, which further reduces the cost.
2. Environmental Impact
Mining natural diamonds requires large amounts of energy and resources, which can have a negative impact on the environment.
In contrast, lab grown diamonds are created in a controlled environment, using significantly less energy and resources. As a result of this, they are a much more sustainable option than their natural counterparts.
3. Ethical Considerations
As a diamond lover, it’s natural to want to be informed about the journey of the stone, from its origin until it’s in your hands. Unfortunately, most naturally mined diamonds come from conflict-ridden regions, where their origins become uncertain.
These rough diamonds are often referred to as ‘blood diamonds’, with a somber past that could be linked to illicit activities such as funding civil wars.
Similarly, the mining of regular mined diamonds can be accompanied by a host of human rights violations and deplorable working conditions. The good news is that synthetic diamonds have a clean history and a known source that can be traced.
Lab-grown diamonds are much cleaner than those mined from the Earth since no dirt or impurities are present.
Furthermore, fewer defects and less strain in their crystal structure are observed since they are created with precision. This enhanced purity gives them the potential to be brighter, better, and whiter.
Generally speaking, a greater portion of lab-grown diamonds have higher purity ratings when compared to natural diamonds. The quality of lab-grown diamonds is comparable to that of natural diamonds.
Lab grown diamonds are created using the same process as natural diamonds, meaning they have the same physical and chemical properties. Lab grown diamonds are also available in a wider range of sizes and shapes, allowing for more customization and higher quality.
Lab created diamonds are an excellent choice if you’re looking for a durable and beautiful piece of jewelry. Lab created diamonds are made of the same material as natural diamonds, so they have the same strength and hardness.
Additionally, lab created diamonds do not have the imperfections that can be found in many natural diamonds, which means they are more likely to remain in good condition over time.
So, if you’re looking for a long-lasting piece of jewelry that will still look great, lab created diamonds are an excellent option.
Lab created diamonds are becoming more and more available these days, making them a great option for many people. They are growing in popularity because they are similar to natural diamonds, but with the added bonus of being more easily made. Plus, because they are created in a lab, you can rest assured that the diamonds can be customized.
Each lab grown diamond is assigned a unique serial number that can be used to track its origin and authenticity. As a result, it is much easier to ensure that the diamond you purchase is ethically sourced and conflict-free.
Some Ways to Tell if A Diamond is Lab-Created
Not all diamonds are created equal. In fact, there are two main types of diamonds: natural and lab-grown. Here are a few key indicators to tell if a diamond is lab-grown:
- The price: Lab-grown diamonds are typically 20-30% cheaper than natural diamonds of the same quality.
- The origin: All lab-grown diamonds will have a very specific origin story that can be traced back to the exact location and date of creation. Natural diamonds, on the other hand, have a more nebulous backstory.
- The physical properties: Lab-grown diamonds tend to be slightly smaller than natural diamonds and have fewer blemishes or inclusions. They also often exhibit different coloration than natural diamonds.
Pros and Cons of Lab Grown Diamonds
Lab-grown diamonds have been in the market since the 1950s, and they’ve made quite a splash. And it’s no wonder – these diamonds offer a number of advantages over natural diamonds. Here are some of the pros and cons of lab-grown diamonds to help you decide if they’re right for you:
- Lab-grown diamonds are environmentally friendly. They don’t require mining, which can be harmful to the environment.
- They’re also more affordable than natural diamonds. Because they’re created in a controlled environment, lab-grown diamonds don’t have the same rarity as natural diamonds. This makes them a more budget-friendly option for those looking for diamond jewelry.
- Basically, most lab-created diamonds are just as durable as their natural counterparts. They have the same hardness and toughness, so you don’t have to worry about them breaking or chipping.
- Some people prefer the romanticism of natural diamonds. Lab-grown diamonds may not have the same sentimental value for some people.
- Because they’re still new to the market, lab-grown diamonds may be harder to find than natural diamonds. You may have to special order them from certain jewelers or online retailers.
How Are Lab Grown Diamonds Created?
Lab-grown diamonds are created using one of two methods: chemical vapor deposition (CVD) or high-pressure high temperature (HPHT). In both methods, a small diamond seed is placed in a growth chamber and exposed to intense heat and pressure. The carbon atoms in the chamber attach to the diamond seed and grow the diamond crystal.
Lab-grown diamonds were first created in 1955, but it was not until the late 1990s that the technology was perfected enough to create gem-quality diamonds. Today, lab-grown diamonds make up a small but growing portion of the diamond market.
Are Lab-Grown Diamonds Cheaper Than Natural Diamonds?
There are many factors to consider when determining whether lab-grown diamonds are cheaper than natural diamonds. The size, quality, and rarity of the diamond will all affect the price.
In general, lab-grown diamonds tend to be less expensive than natural diamonds of the same size and quality. However, larger and rare diamonds will be more expensive regardless of whether they are natural or lab-grown.
Smaller diamonds tend to be less expensive than larger ones, while fancy-colored diamonds tend to be more expensive than colorless ones. Higher-clarity diamonds tend to be more expensive than lower-clarity ones
The Certification Process for Lab Created Diamond Rings
When purchasing a lab-grown diamond, it is important to ensure it is certified by a reputable laboratory. The certification process involves testing the diamond for its physical and chemical properties to ensure that it is a genuine lab-grown diamond.
Reputable laboratories such as the Gemological Institute of America (GIA) and the International Gemological Institute (IGI) offer certification services for lab-grown diamonds.
When buying a lab-grown diamond, it is important to make sure that it is certified by a reputable laboratory. Certified lab-grown diamonds come with a certificate that verifies the diamond’s authenticity and quality.
This certificate also provides peace of mind that the diamond is genuine and of good quality. Additionally, certified lab-grown diamonds tend to be more valuable.
How To Shop For A Lab-Grown Diamond Ring
1. Consider the Four ‘C’s
When shopping for a lab-grown diamond ring, it is important to keep in mind the “4 Cs.” The “Four Cs” of diamonds stand for Carat, Cut, Clarity, and Color. Here are more details on each:
- Carat is the weight of the diamond and it impacts the size of the diamond. Diamond carat weight is measured in metric carats (one carat is equal to 200 milligrams).
- Cut is the shape and finish of the diamond. The cut of a diamond is of utmost importance, as it can drastically affect its brightness, symmetry, fire, and sparkle. These qualities are determined by height, depth, angles, and other factors.
- Clarity is the imperfections within a diamond and it affects the beauty of the diamond.
- Lastly, Color is the hue of the diamond and it can cause the diamond to appear more or less valuable. Most diamonds used in jewelry are near colorless with slight hints of yellow or brown.
2. Research Different Vendors
When you are shopping for a lab-grown diamond ring, it is important to do your research and compare different vendors. Here are some tips on how to research different vendors:
- Read online reviews: One way to research different vendors is to read online reviews. You can find reviews of lab-grown diamond ring vendors on websites like Yelp, Google, and Facebook.
- Check out their website: Another way to research a vendor is to check out their website. On the website, you should be able to find information about the company, its prices, and its policies.
- Contact the vendor: If you have any questions about the vendor or their products, you can contact them directly. Most vendors will have contact information listed on their websites.
- Compare prices: When you are shopping for a lab-grown diamond ring, it is important to compare prices from different vendors to ensure that you are getting the best deal possible.
3. Know Your Budget
There are a few things to consider when setting your budget for a lab-grown diamond ring.
- The first is the cost of the diamond itself. Lab-grown diamonds typically cost less than mined diamonds, so this can help you save money on the overall cost of the ring.
- The second thing to consider is the setting for the diamond. The setting can add costs, so be sure to factor that into your budget.
- The type of metal used in the setting can also affect the price, so keep that in mind when choosing a setting for your lab-grown diamond ring.
- Finally, don’t forget about the cost of shipping and insurance when shopping for a lab-grown diamond ring online. These costs can add up, so be sure to include them in your budget.
4. Ask About Certifications
When you are looking for a jeweler to create a lab-grown diamond ring, be sure to ask about their certifications.
A good jeweler will have certification from the International Gemological Institute (IGI), which is the world’s leading authority on diamonds and gemstones.
Certification from the IGI guarantees that your lab-grown diamond is of the highest quality and will last a lifetime.
Other important certifications to look for include the American Gem Society (AGS) and the Jewelers of America (JA). These certifications signify that a jeweler has met strict standards for ethical business practices and customer service.
5. Consider Insurance Options
When it comes to insurance, there are a few things to keep in mind when shopping for a lab-grown diamond ring.
- First, make sure to get an insurance appraisal for your ring. This will help you determine the value of your ring and ensure that you are properly insured.
- Secondly, consider insuring your ring against loss or theft. This can be especially important if you plan on wearing your ring often.
- Finally, make sure to ask your insurer about any discounts they may offer for insuring a lab-grown diamond ring.
The Future of Lab Grown Diamonds
1. Potential Impact on the Diamond Industry
Lab grown diamonds have the potential to revolutionize the diamond industry. They are much more affordable than natural diamonds, and they can be produced in a fraction of the time. This could lead to a decrease in the prices of diamonds, making them more accessible to a wider range of people.
Additionally, lab grown diamonds can be produced in a variety of colors and sizes, allowing for more creative designs and unique pieces. This could open up new markets for the diamond industry and create growth opportunities.
2. Potential Impact on the Environment
Gen Z is on a mission to improve the environment and save planet earth for which they are raising awareness and looking for more sustainable and environmentally safe production.
Lab created diamond jewelry is also much more environmentally friendly than its natural counterparts because they require significantly less energy to produce, and they do not involve any mining or extraction processes.
This means that there is no risk of environmental damage or pollution associated with their production. Lab grown diamonds are not subject to the same ethical issues as natural diamonds, such as conflict diamonds or child labor. This could help reduce the negative environmental impacts of the diamond industry.
3. Potential Impact on the Economy
The production of lab grown diamonds could also have a positive impact on the economy. The increased availability of diamonds could lead to more people purchasing them, which would create more jobs in the diamond industry. In addition, the lower prices of lab grown diamonds could make them more accessible to people with lower incomes, which could help stimulate economic growth.
Gen z has been more socially active than any generation and is aware of its impact on the economy and looking for ethical and environmentally safe options, proving that increased demand for lab-grown diamonds could lead to more investment in research and development by Gen Z which could lead to further economic growth.
In conclusion, lab-grown diamonds are becoming increasingly popular as an alternative to mined diamonds. They are much more affordable than mined diamonds, and they are also more ethical and sustainable.
Since Gen Z is always on the hunt for an easy way to buy things thus Lab-grown diamonds can be purchased from a variety of sources, including online retailers, jewelry stores, and diamond wholesalers making it easy for them to buy them in whichever way they want it. It is important to make sure that the diamond is certified by a reputable laboratory to ensure its authenticity and quality.
Lab-grown diamonds offer an affordable and ethical alternative to mined diamonds, making them an attractive option for Gen Z that prefers ethical brands.