Recently updated on October 25th, 2022 at 11:10 am
Vancouver is one of Canada’s largest cities, with over 600 thousand people living there. Vancouver is home to more than 1,200 dental offices providing dental care to its citizens. Around 1,000 dental offices provide Orthodontic services. So, how do you choose the right orthodontist?
When looking for the best orthodontist Vancouver, consider the following questions:
1. What are their qualifications?
Table of Contents
The total number of qualified orthodontists in Vancouver is around 350. They have completed a dental degree and have then undertaken specialist training in Orthodontics. An orthodontist must have completed full-time training in an authorized Orthodontic residency program to become a Fellow of the Royal College of Orthodontists (FRCO).
2. What is their experience?
The average Vancouver orthodontist has been in practice for over 20 years. The most experienced ones have been in practice for over 30 years. It would be best to ask your orthodontist about their experience treating cases like yours.
3. What is their success rate?
Some reports suggest that the success rates for Orthodontists are as high as 95% in Vancouver. The success rate indicates that out of every 100 patients who receive treatment, 95 will be satisfied with the results.
4. What is the cost?
The overall cost of orthodontic treatment can vary depending on the type of treatment needed. Generally, braces will cost between $3,000 and $10,000.
5. What are the different types of braces?
There are many types of brackets available. The most common types of braces include:
- Traditional braces: Metal brackets are bonded to the teeth, and wires are used to correct the alignment of the teeth. There are various types available. Your orthodontist will decide according to your treatment requirement.
- Ceramic braces: They are like traditional braces. The brackets are made from tooth-colored ceramic material.
- Invisalign: Clear plastic aligners are custom-made without brackets or wires.
6. What is the orthodontist’s approach to treatment?
Orthodontists use a variety of treatment approaches. Some use traditional braces, others use Invisalign, and some use a combination of both. You can book a consultation to discuss the best treatment approach for your needs.
7. What are the possible side effects?
The risks and side effects associated with orthodontic treatment are generally minor. They can include:
- Discomfort: You may experience some discomfort during and after your treatment. The discomfort is usually mild and can be taken care of with over-the-counter pain relief medication.
- Soreness: After placing braces for the first time, you may experience soreness in your teeth for a few days.
- Irritation: The brackets and wires of your braces may cause some irritation to your gums, lips, and cheeks. The irritation can be relieved by using orthodontic wax.
- Damage to teeth: In rare cases, the brackets and wires of your braces may damage your teeth.
- Allergic reactions: In rare cases, you may experience an allergic reaction to the metal in your braces.
It is crucial to find the best orthodontist in Vancouver who makes you comfortable and gives you the best treatment and care. When choosing an orthodontist, it is essential to ask some questions to ensure you make an informed decision. The seven questions listed above are a great starting point.